By Margaret Wilson
I’m an ex-smoker who used to destroy a pack a day. Now I’m a vaper, and I haven’t touched a cigarette for five years.
So, you also want to try vaping. I must tell you two things:
#1 – you’re still going to be addicted to nicotine, at least at the beginning
#2 – for the sake of your health, you’d better avoid both smoking and vaping!
But if quitting tobacco is extremely hard for you (as it is for millions of smokers), then vaping is worth to try. Soon after the transition, you’ll notice several changes:
- Better senses of taste and smell
- No dyspnea after a physical activity
- Less cravings, etc.
If you’re ready for the vaping deals (check here) but have no idea where to start, here’s a short guide for complete rookies.
How to Pick the Right Device?
There’s no single perfect e-cigarette for everyone. Some vapers enjoy big clouds of vapor, some like nice flavors, others want to feel the sensations resembling smoking as much as possible.
- If a compact size and ease of use top your list of requirements, then a pen-style or cig-a-like device will work for you. You can use a Juul discount code to get a good bargain.
- If you’re going to vape to stop smoking, and want to mimic your habitual sensations, it’s wise to buy a mouth-to-lung style device. It has a restricted airflow, similar to the way a cigarette feels.
- You may be tempted to have a sub ohm vape that allows blowing bigger plumes of vapor. Veteran vapers don’t advice newcomers to start with such products. They can be confusing not only for new but even intermediate vapers.
A regular compact vape with normal clouds is an optimal choice for a complete beginner.
Where to buy:
In a store. Brick and mortar vape shops and loungers allow you to get instant feedback from the staff and other vapers. You can see the products up close and handle them in person. The main disadvantage is the price tag that can be $20 or $30 higher than online.
Online. It’s easy to browse from site to site, comparing products and prices. But while this type of shopping is often cheaper, many sites that sell fakes. If the website looks rubbish or the deal looks too good to be true, give it a miss.
How to Pick a Vape Juice?
Once you chose the kind of the device that fits you best, it’s time to think about the vape juice. This is a liquid that creates the vapor when you exhale.
Most e-liquids contain nicotine. The necessary nicotine strength correlates with the number of cigarettes you smoke a day:
- 1-5 cigarettes a day– suggested nicotine strength: 0.6% (6mg/ml)
- 5-15 cigarettes – 1.0% (10 mg/ml)
- 15-20 cigarettes – 1.4% (14 mg/ml)
- 20+ – 1.8% (18mg/ml).
There’re nicotine-free liquids on the market. Ex-smokers who want to break their nicotine dependence reduce the percentage of the chemical with time and eventually reach a zero level. Some of them keep vaping as a hobby or indulge themselves on weekends or holidays.
When it comes to flavor, this is an individual choice. I recommend trying a few different flavors at the beginning. The choice is super rich. So, you’ll definitely find something that matches your taste.
Don’t buy cheap stuff. You risk being disappointed. Use a Juul coupon and get a quality e-juice. At the end of the day, it has an impact on your well-being and health. So, always buy e-liquids from reputable companies.
How to Get the Right Parts?
Make a careful choice of components. If you understand what you need, chances are high that you’ll find some cool vaping deals.
- Get a few spare batteries for a device where they are replaceable. To stay on the safe side, don’t buy cheap ones. They can be very dangerous. Overheating can lead to an explosion. Accidents can also happen when they are mishandled. So, read some additional information on using the vape batteries.
- Get spare coils that are compatible with your device. Some build their own coils to save money. However, it’s not for everyone. It requires specific skills.
- As a beginner, you should also avoid mech mods. They require experience. I know how attractive the cloud-chasing is. But mech mods can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Learn Ohm’s Law and battery safety before proceeding to complicated devices.
Read the Instructions and Start to Vape!
It goes without saying that reading the instructions is important. This is the initial step to get the satisfaction you expect from your e-cigarette.
Here’re some additional tips for using a vape:
- Don’t start vaping the moment you filled everything. Wait for five minutes unless the coil is fully covered in liquid. This way, you’ll avoid a dry or “burnt” hit that can ruin a perfectly good coil from the first rip of the power button.
- Take care of your vape gear if you want it to work longer. I disassemble my vape pen once a month and clean it thoroughly every month.
- Be considerate in public. Some representatives of the vaping community puff everywhere they want and don’t care what others think or say. That’s why many non-vapors and non-smokers think of vapers as rude and impolite individuals.
People don’t want to sit in someone’s clouds, no matter how pleasant they smell. Always be respectful as you’re representing a whole vaping scene.
In general, vaping is prohibited in all public places where smoking is banned. So, treat it like you’d treat smoking a cigarette.
Becoming a vaper is not so easy due to the line of choices you do. Picking up cigarettes and smoking them is so much easier. But in the long run, your decisions will have an impact on your health. The sooner you start to lead a healthier way of life, the better.
About the author:
Margaret Wilson, a blogger who writes about the healthy way of life (healthy food, sports, motivation etc.)
Now she studies vaping as an alternative for people who are struggling with smoking.