Bermuda House Passes Bill to Decriminalize Cannabis Possession

Bermuda’s House of Assembly has overwhelmingly approved legislation to decriminalize small amounts of cannabis.

The Misuse of Drugs (Decriminalization of Cannabis) Amendment Act, tabled by Minister of Social Development and Sport Zane DeSilva, would decriminalize the possession of up to seven grams of cannabis for personal use. The measure now goes to the Senate for consideration. Passage in the Senate would send it to Governor John Rankin who could sign it into law, allow it to become law without his signature, or veto it.

Although police would no longer be able to arrest individuals with up to seven grams of cannabis under the proposed law, they could still seize it. The minister would also be tasked with drawing up regulations for substance abuse education or treatment for those caught possessing cannabis.

Read moreBermuda House Passes Bill to Decriminalize Cannabis Possession

Poll: Over 79% of Bermuda Voters Support Decriminalizing or Legalizing Cannabis

bermudaA new poll released by Profiles of Bermuda has found that an overwhelming majority of voters in Bermuda support either decriminalizing or legalizing cannabis.

According to the survey, 41.5% of Bermuda voters support legalizing cannabis, with an additional 37.8% supporting decriminalization. Altogether 79.3% support either legalizing or decriminalizing cannabis, with just 20% in favor of retaining the laws as they are. This represents and 8.5% increase in support since just last year.

Read morePoll: Over 79% of Bermuda Voters Support Decriminalizing or Legalizing Cannabis