Majority of Those in New Zealand Favor Cannabis Law Reform

A new HeraldDigiPoll survey has found that a majority of those in New Zealand favor either the decriminalization of cannabis, or its outright legalization.

The New Zealand flag.
The New Zealand flag.

According to the poll, just 45% of New Zealand residents favor keeping cannabis illegal. Approximately 32% favor decriminalizing cannabis, and an additional 20% favor its full legalization. In total, 52% of New Zealanders favor the reformation of the nation’s cannabis policies in some way. Less than 3% are undecided.

Under current New Zealand law, possession of small amounts of cannabis can resort in a $500 fine and up to 3 months in jail, or a potential 14 year jail sentence if you’re possessing over an ounce. Cultivating any amount of cannabis can result in imprisonment of up to 7 years.

The survey was conducted from June 6 to 15; it has a sample size of 750, and a margin of error of 3.6 per cent.

TheJointBlog

Leave a Comment