Marijuana has become increasingly popular in recent years, which isn’t a surprise: Nearly a dozen U.S. states have legalized the plant within a 7-year period, and over 30 states have legalized it for medical use. The number of those following a vegan, plant-based diet has also grown rapidly in recent years. Because of this, it’s absolutely no surprise that vegan edibles are more popular and sought-after than ever.
Luckily, making vegan edibles is incredibly easy. All you need to do is make vegan marijuana butter or coconut oil, and then replace the marijuana butter or oil with regular butter or oil in any recipe.
Below we will take a look at how to make vegan marijuana butter or oil.
Vegan marijuana butter or marijuana coconut oil recipe
- 100 grams of vegan butter, such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance. Any other non-dairy margarine would also work. Or, coconut oil
- 100 ml of water
- A strainer
- 100 grams of grounded marijuana
- Heat water and butter in a sauce pan.
- Add marijuana and stir it in evenly
- Simmer for 30 minutes
- Stir briskly every couple minutes
- Take the mixture and put it through your strainer in order to remove the solid cannabis material
- Place what’s left in the fridge and allow it to solidify entirely (typically 4 to 6 hours)
- Remove the water that has formed on the top
If sealed properly, the marijuana butter or oil will stay good for several weeks to a couple months. THC and CBD will stay active at room temperature for three months, according to several studies, and up to a year in a refrigerator. The question, then, is not how long will the butter or oil remain good? We can safely say at least four weeks.
Decarboxylating the cannabis
In order to increase the efficiency of the marijuana used in the marijuana, you can first decarboxylate it. Although this isn’t necessary as the fat in the butter or oil will activate the THC, it still increases the effectiveness.
To decarboxylate the cannabis:
- Place marijuana on a pan that’s been covered with parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees (Fahrenheit)
- Heat the marijuana for around 30 to 40 minutes