When one thinks of marijuana edibles, they think of food and drink products – like cookies, brownies, coffee and tea – that are infused with marijuana. However, some edibles are made with kief, making the products more potent (or equally potent with much less product required).
What is Kief?
Kief, which is occasionally transliterated as keef, is the resinous trichomes of marijuana. Sometimes also referred to as Cannabis Crystals is powdery looking (and feel) and is often found accumulates in marijuana containers and grinders.
Kief has a much higher percentage of THC than standard marijuana bud, as it’s concentrated. Many cannabis users will add the Keif into their marijuana when smoking it or using for cooking due to high potency.
Traditionally Keif is pressed into cakes of hashish to make it easier to keep long term.
Before using kief in the making of marijuana edibles, you may want to consider decarboxylating the kief in order to activate it and further the potency of the final product.
Luckily, this process is simple.
To decarb your kief:
– Preheat your over to 220 degree (F)
– Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
– Spread the kief out in a thin and even layer
– Place the kief in the oven and heat for around half an hour
You’ll notice this is the same process for decarboxylating cannabis in general and is a highly recommended stage in processing cannabis for edibles.
Making edibles with kief:
Making edibles with kief is as simple as first making kief butter or oil, which is very similar to making regular marijuana butter or oil. By using a vessel like butter or oil, it allows for the keif to integrate nicely with what ever food you are merging it with. Here’s are the key steps in making both oil and butter:
– 1 cup of butter or coconut oil (depending if you’re making a butter or oil mix)
– 8 grams of marijuana
– 1/2 cup of water
– Mesh strainer or cheese cloth
What to do:
– Heat the butter or oil with the water on medium to medium-high heat
– After 5-10 minutes, stir in the cannabis
– Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring regularly
– Place the mixture through your strainer or cloth and remove all solid marijuana matter that remains
– Place the mixture in the fridge and allow it to solidify (1-2 hours)
– Remove the top layer of water