How to Make Cannabis Oil
Producing your own medical cannabis oil is entirely safe when done correctly. The pure medical cannabis oil has provided relief to men and women suffering several medically diagnosed issues, including epilepsy, cancer, chronic joint pain, and PTSD. Those with a prescription can benefit from the potent pain reliever by applying small amounts of the oil directly to their skin or consuming 1 to 3 drops of the oil per day.
Part 1: Preparing and Equipping Your Workspace
- The space should be well ventilated—open all available windows and or use fans to promote air flow.
- The space should also be equipped with a fire extinguisher—the alcohol you will be using as a solvent is extremely flammable, as is the oil itself.
- If you intend to use a stovetop, the space needs a gas or electric range.
- If you intend to use a rice cooker, the space needs electricity.
2. Retrieve the materials. To produce cannabis oil, you need medical marijuana and a solvent.
- Procure 1 ounce of medical marijuana. If needed, you may substitute 2 to 3 ounces of medical marijuana trim.
- Purchase 1 gallon of high proof alcohol, such as Everclear, to use as a solvent. The high proof alcohol will burn off in the boiling process, leaving you with a very pure and potent medical marijuana oil. Do not use alcohol that is not intended for human consumption, such as rubbing alcohol.
3. Gather your tools. Over the course of this process, you will need a variety of tools. These include:
- 1 medium sized glass or ceramic mixing bowl. Do not use a plastic mixing bowl.
- 1 large wooden spoon
- A straining device. You may choose from the following: muslin bag, grain steeping bag, clean pair of stockings, cheese cloth, chai tea filter, or coffee filter paired with a mesh strainer.
- 1 container to catch the liquid, such as a 2-quart mixing cup
- 1 silicon spatula
- 1 double boiler (for range) or rice cooker and candle warmer
- Plastic oral syringes
4. Consider wearing protective gear. The process of making your own medical marijuana oil can be dangerous.
- Safety paint or odor respirator mask
- Non-latex gloves.
- Oven mitts or hot pads
- Safety glasses
Part 2: Extracting THC from the Medical Cannabis with a Solvent
1. Soak the medical cannabis buds in the solvent. Pour the medical marijuana buds into a medium sized glass or ceramic mixing bowl. Pour the high proof alcohol over the medical marijuana. Continue to pour the solvent until it rests 1 inch above the surface of the medical cannabis.
2. Stir the mixture. Retrieve your wooden spoon. Mix and mash the solvent and medical cannabis together for 2 to 3 minutes. The constant stirring motion will aid the solvent in absorbing the THC from the medical marijuana.
3. Strain the solvent-medical cannabis mixture into another container. Retrieve your straining device and second container. Place your straining device within your second container. Carefully pour the mixture through the strainer and let the dark green liquid fill the container.
- If you are use a bag or cloth, squeeze the contents of the cloth to get out all of the liquid.
- The liquid is a mixture of the alcohol and the extracted resin from the medical cannabis.
4. Soak, mix, and strain the mixture a second time. The first wash will remove approximately 70% to 80% of the resin from the medical cannabis. This second wash will remove the rest of the THC.
- Empty the contents of your strainer into the medium sized mixing bowl.
- Pour the solvent over the cannabis so that it is fully submerged.
- Use the wooden spoon to mix and mash the alcohol-medical cannabis mixture for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place your strainer over the second container, which already contains the dark green liquid from the first wash.
- Slowly pour the contents of the mixing bowl in your strainer. Allow all of the dark green liquid to run into the container.
- It is not necessary to do a third wash.
Part 3: Removing the Solvent and Storing the Cannabis Oil
1. Boil off the solvent in a double boiler. When it is time to boil off the alcohol, you have one of two options. The first is to use a double boiler and a range. This is a very safe method.
- Fill the bottom part of your double boiler with water.
- Pour the dark green liquid into the top pan. If you can not fit all of the liquid in the pan, gradually add it as the level drops.
- Turn the burner on high and wait for the liquid in the top pot to boil.
- Once the liquid in the top pot is bubbling (the alcohol is evaporating), turn off the burner immediately. The heat from the boiling water below will continue to burn off the alcohol.
- Allow the contents in the top pan to bubble for 15 to 25 minutes. Occasionally scrape the sides and bottom of the pan with your silicon spatula. If the contents stop bubbling, but still appear runny, turn on the burner to low. Once the contents resume bubbling, turn off the burner.
- When the contents become a thick dark green syrup, all of the alcohol has evaporated and all you are left with is the medical cannabis oil. The process is complete.
- Remove the top pan from the bottom pan and allow the medical marijuana oil to cool. As it cools, it will continue to thicken.
2. Boil off the solvent in a rice cooker. If you do not have access to a stove top, you may substitute a rice cooker for a double boiler.
- Fill your rice cooker ¾ of the way full with your alcohol-oil mix. If you have more of the mixture, you can continue to add it to the rice cooker as the level drops.
- Turn the rice cooker on “High” or set it to the “White Rice” setting.
- Allow the solvent-oil mixture to boil down.
- When the solvent-oil mix is becomes a thick, dark green liquid, put on oven mitts, remove the pan from the rice cooker, and gently swirl the mixture. (When the amount of bubbles rising to the top decreases significantly, it is time to remove the mixture from the rice cooker).
- Pour the contents of the rice cooker into a glass or metal dish.
- Set the glass or metal dish on a candle warmer. Turn on the candle warmer and allow any remaining CO2 to evaporate from the mixture.
- When the contents are no longer bubbling, you may remove the glass or metal dish from the candle warmer. The lack of bubbles signifies that all of the alcohol has evaporated from the medical cannabis oil and the process is complete.