Bong Cleaning Tutorial
One of the oldest and most commonly used tools for smoking weed is the bong, also known as a water pipe. It can be made of glass, plastic, ceramic, and other materials, and usually uses a bowl, stem, and water to produce smoke. To put it simply, it’s a filtration device used for smoking marijuana, tobacco, or any other herbal substance. And like any other device you use regularly or occasionally, it needs proper care so you can enjoy the product you’re smoking.
Bongs remain a popular way to smoke cannabis because they’re easier to use than rolling a joint. However, they require a special cleaning method due to the amount of resin buildup.
Read on to learn a few steps to clean your bong properly.
A dirty bong can easily ruin the taste of a good smoke. Thankfully, there are a few easy and reliable methods to clean it. However, before you start cleaning, you’ll need to secure tools such as isopropyl alcohol (91-99%), coarse salt, pipe cleaner, dish soap, zip-top plastic bags, disposable gloves, and other essentials. There will be a few tough areas and stains, so make sure you do a basic cleaning regularly.
For example, if you’re using a ceramic bong, you can simply clean it with isopropyl alcohol and/or hot water and soap. On the other hand, if you own a glass bong, you’ll need to add sea salt and a pipe cleaner. As for plastic, acrylic, and latex bongs, you’ll need hot water and a pipe cleaner or simply a large straw brush. Don’t use alcohol as it can break down and strip certain latex and acrylic materials.
Steps to clean your bong
Before you begin cleaning your glass bong, make sure you put disposable gloves on, if you want to avoid sticky residue on your fingers.
- Step 1: Place the bong inside a sink or in a zip-top bag. Disassemble it, removing the mouthpiece, bowl, and other accessories. Remove any spent herb, and pour out the old water. Rinse and fill it with clean and warm water to help you remove any remaining particles.
- Step 2: Add isopropyl alcohol and coarse salt so they can clean the inside of your water pipe. You can also use vinegar and baking soda but salt and alcohol usually work best. Depending on the size of your water pipe, fill it about halfway with alcohol. The salt will help you gently scrub the inside of your bong and remove the resin.
- Step 3: If you’re not using a zip-lock bag, make sure you plug the holes and shake the bong so that the abrasive and cleaner don’t cause a mess. Shake for about 5 minutes to get the best result. Rinse and repeat the cleaning process as many times as you need to. If you’re using a bag, seal it properly and then shake it. Let it soak for about 30 minutes so that the alcohol effectively cleans the glass.
- Step 4: Remove the bong and get rid of the bag. Rinse the water pipe with warm water and soap to get all of the salt and alcohol before using it. Dish soap and warm water usually do the trick.
- Step 5: Let the bong air dry before you use it. If you need it right away, you can wipe the outside with a clean dish towel or a paper towel.
You can repeat the same process for cleaning the other parts of your bong and make sure you thoroughly clean any tough areas or stains that may have remained.
Why clean your bong regularly?
Bacteria is often a big reason why you should regularly clean your bong. Note that only after 22 hours, bacteria will begin to grow inside your dirty bong and it will get worse over time. In extreme situations, severely dirty bongs can even cause a lung infection.
Additionally, since a big part of the ganja experience is the taste, you need to properly clean the water pipe so you can enjoy it. Note that when your bong is not cleaned, the slime, resin, filthy bong water, and every other source of uncleanness will start to give off a flavor of their own, which is ultimately bad for your health and experience.
Your bong should be part of the dishes ‘pile’ you clean each day. Cleaning your water pipe shouldn’t have to be a major undertaking and you don’t even have to use specialized cleaners. Just do a quick rinse with a few simple ingredients after every use, and you’ll avoid not only harmful bacteria entering your lungs but it will also look great when you pick it up again and light up your new stash.