All Marijuana Use is Medicinal
Many medical marijuana opponents often cite in their opposition – with no valid backing – that the majority of patients aren’t actually sick, and are using marijuana “just to get high”. This is, of course, based on an assumption that they know what someone who’s “sick” looks like, as if all ailments are visible.
Besides this assumption being a fundamental fallacy, what those who make this argument don’t understand, is that all marijuana use is medicinal.
Hear us out.
People are rapidly beginning and continuing to understand the vast medical benefit that marijuana contains, helping with everything from glaucoma to multiple sclerosis. Many of the dozens of conditions that marijuana helps are conditions where it brings immediate relief.
For example, when someone with glaucoma consumes cannabis, they typically have an immediate easing of pressure in their eyes, and their sight improves drastically. Someone with cancer who takes a few tokes will have an increased appetite, and less nausea. So on and so forth.
However, few people take into account just how incredible marijuana is as a preventive medicine, which effects all consumers. In fact, it’s easily the most diverse preventive medicine on the planet, and someone would be hard-pressed to prove that statement wrong.
For example: Recent research has found that marijuana..
- ..may target and kill aggressive breast cancer cells, which may prevent, or at least help prevent consumers from getting breast cancer.
- ..doesn’t cause lung-cancer, and may actually help prevent it, according to government-funded research conducted at the University of California.
- ..may fight off and potentially prevent brain cancer cells, according to research published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation
- ..may help prevent suicides, indicating marijuana to be a helpful medicine against depression and other conditions or issues that may lead to someone being suicidal. This is based on recent research which found medical marijuana states to have a drastic reduction in suicides after they approved marijuana as a medicine (especially among young adults).
- ..may prevent and help stave off Alzheimer’s disease, a common illness among elderly adults. This is according to research conducted by the Scripps Research Institute in California
- …may help people cope with a crazy world. Most people in society self-medicate, whether through the help of a physician giving them narcotic anti-depressants, someone drinking a few cups of whiskey to “ease into the night”, or someone jogging in order to run off the stress. Marijuana, as retired Harvard Psychiatry Professor told us, is an “enhancer”, something that makes everything from sex to music better. In a world with a lot of hardships, and a lot of dangerous medications, even someone simply wanting to “get high” may very well be practicing a form of self-medication – and why not, if there’s a medicine that’s non-lethal and natural, why shouldn’t someone consume it if they decide they want to? If they’re not using it to self-medicate, they’re still consuming a wonderfully diverse preventive medicine.
At this point, and this is exciting stuff, we’re preaching to the choir when speaking in support of medical marijuana. Recent polling has found 85% of Americans to be in support of legal medicinal cannabis. The truth, and science, is breaking through decades of propaganda, and fast. Now we must get elected officials to understand the suffering they’re causing by refusing to end a prohibition on a medicine that could help essentially everyone on this beautiful rotating planet.